Hooray! Finally Summer is here in Puglia! (Sorry for my Aussie friends!). You see, you cannot taste these tomatoes in North part of Italy. It’s only in South! You can see anywhere in Puglia in summer: in front of houses, backyards, gardens..Trust me, it’s a big work but once you taste it, all the works worth it!
・Tomatoes (matured but NEVER damaged) ・Rock Salts ・Nets to avoid insects
・Extra virgin olive oil ・Basil ・Garlic ・Oregano ・Celery ・Vinegar
・(Fresh Chili if you would like some kick! )
- Wash and select tomatoes. They have to be clean and no damages on skin
- Cut in half and line up like the photo on top. Cut-side top. Once it’s done, put rock salts on top.
- Put nets over the tomatoes. Leave under the sun for 2-3 days.
- Once cut-side is dry, flip tomatoes and another few more days under the sun.
- When tomatoes are dry enough, boil 1L of water and 1L of vinegar together in a pan and leave tomatoes in the vinegar&water and boil for about 1-2minutes
- Take out tomatoes and dry at cooler place for a day
- In a meantime, cut garlic, oregano, celery and basil leaves into small pieces.
- Make a layer of tomatoes and basil mix in a glass jar(obviously they should be stylised and new lid!)
- Lastly, add our beautiful extra virgin olive oil to fill up the glass jar! Keep them in the cool/dark places for long conservation!
*A little fun fact: At the end, there will be very flavoured oil left..what to do? Mix with cooked pasta and your lunch is already done! 🙂